Welcome to Amber Restaurant, Coffee Shop and Whisky Bar at The Scotch Whisky Experience!
Our Amber Restaurant and Coffee Shop are currently closed, but booking is now open from Spring 2021. Gift vouchers for the restaurant and our Taste of Scotland tour and dining experience can be purchased here.
Amber is a paragon of all that's good about Scottish food and drink - Best of Edinburgh.
Amber Restaurant and Whisky Bar provides sumptuous and modern Scottish cuisine in a stylish casual-dining environment. Our service team are friendly, efficient and quietly knowledgable in a way that does not distract from the menu. Of course, we also have a vast selection of Scotch whiskies available.
Our chefs create delicious locally sourced dishes that have been garnering accolades for over 20 years - making us the perfect place for you to discover Scotland's larder.
OPENING HOURS & CONTACT DETAILS
Open daily, seven days
Amber Restaurant & Whisky Bar - 11:00 – last orders 19:30.
Tel: 0131 477 8477
Health & Safety Measures
In addition to the measures taken through the whole of The Scotch Whisky Experience (as seen below) here are the steps, specific to our restaurant, that we will be taking to ensure we protect both our customers and our team.
- Tables will not be set with cutlery or glass ware
- We will be introducing the use of sachets for salt and pepper
- Your napkin and cutlery will be given to you in a paper pouch
- We will be introducing single use menus and also our menu will be available to view online
- Bookings must be made for no more than 6 people, from two households according to current government guidelines. This does not include children aged 11 and under.
- Households must distance so if you wish to book for two households you must let us know at the time of booking.
- We assume that the guests in your booking to not require to physically distance from one another. If this is not the case please let us in the last field of your booking “add special request” or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact details for anyone visiting our bar or restaurant will need to be taken at booking or on arrival if no booking made – these will be held securely on our reservation system.
Stellar birthday dinner party
My father just turned 70, and wanted to celebrate his birthday over in Scotland, so my wife and I went with him and my stepmother, and some friends who live in the UK joined us at the Amber for his birthday dinner. From my very first communications with Lina, who went out of her way to help me set everything up, to our amiable host Thomas, and of course, the virtuoso whisky sommelier, Andrew, who paired whiskies with our dishes all night, and all the other excellent staff whose names I didn’t catch, the service was spectacular, all the way through to the end of the meal. As for the meal itself, between us we had tapas, mussels, haggis, stovies, cullen skink, lamb, haddock, puff pastry wellington, a raspberry parfait, and rhubarb creme brûlée. Everything we had was delicious, and at the end of the night, despite my sudden fear, the bill was shockingly reasonable. It was a really wonderful evening, a great birthday dinner party, and we are very grateful to all the folks at The Amber who helped make it so perfect.
Second to none
We’ve visited the Amber Bar and Restaurant many times and never had a bad experience. The range of whisky available is incredible and the food is so delicious – coming here is one of the things we look forward to the most when we come up to Edinburgh! But the most wonderful thing of all is the staff who just make the experience second to none. Everyone in the bar and restaurant are so welcoming, knowledgeable and one of the best things of all is that everyone is so enthusiastic! We love all of the awesome recommendations and we learn more every time we visit.
The best place to drink whisky in Edinburgh
The best place to drink whiskey in Edinburgh. There are numerous choices of whiskey from Scotland. A bar tender there is very kind and knowledgeable, and he kindly helped me choosing the right whiskey for me or learning about Scottish whiskey. And the bar is really reasonable! If I come to Edinburgh again, I would definitely go there. Thanks for lovely whiskeys and your advice!
(Google review, 2018)
Where to find us
You'll find Amber Restaurant and Whisky Bar downstairs at the Scotch Whisky Experience. Situated on Castlehill, at the top of the famous Royal Mile and next door to Edinburgh Castle, Amber is a perfect stop off for lunch, dinner or light refreshment as you explore the city.