Environmental Policy at the Scotch Whisky Experience
As part of our commitment to sustainability and green tourism, we are assessed under the Green Tourism scheme, the leading sustainable tourism certification scheme in the UK. We are delighted to hold a Gold award and are working hard to make positive actions every day to do more with sustainability and ecological practices.
We are working on projects to reduce plastic throughout the business and audit all of our single use items.
We have signed up to the Refill app so that people know it's not just the "water of life" that we serve, but we'll also happily fill up water bottles to anyone who pops in. (Bottles are strictly filled with water only, not whisky!)
Every week we'll add a new distillery's ecological and sustainability story to our Distillery page and share these great practices with our visitors and online audience.
Much more is also happening - too much to tell here!
Please see below our Environmental policy:
Our company is passionately committed to the Green Tourism scheme (and becoming as environmentally friendly as we can). In pursuit of our mission statement to provide a world class visitor attraction to promote the enjoyment of Scotch whisky, The Scotch Whisky Experience recognises that our operations have an effect on the local, regional and global environment.
As a consequence of this and in keeping with our 5 star visitor rating, we are committed to continuous improvement in environmental performance and the prevention of pollution. To help us achieve these goals, we are committed to the following:
- We regard environmental regulations, laws and codes of practice as setting the minimum standards of environmental performance
- We minimise waste by reducing, reusing and recycling materials wherever possible. Recycled paper is used in all printers. All whisky box packaging is recycled as are all plastic bottles.
- We dispose of all waste through safe and responsible methods.
- We work with our suppliers to ensure they recognise and reduce the environmental impacts of their products and transportation.
- We reduce the use of energy, water and other resources wherever possible. Our electricity, gas and water usage is monitored monthly.
- We implement our policies through guidelines and staff training.
- We set targets and goals designed to improve our environmental performance.
- We have joined Green Tourism as an indicator of our sustainable practices.
- We work to constantly measure and improve our ecological credentials and retail our GOLD Green Tourism award